Today I wormed the horses, here are a few tricks to make worming your horse easier.
1. Play with your horses mouth. I like to massage the muzzle and put my fingers in the lips. Be careful to watch your fingers and do this for short periods of time as there are a lot of nerves in that area and it can be a little over-stimulating at first. If you have a young horse, do this often as a bonding technique your young one will love it.
2. Occasionally give your horse a syringe of apple sauce. This will help you giving your horse anything paste related. Try to give apple sauce more than icky pastes and your horse will be more willing to open her mouth.
3. Teach your horse to lower her head both by pressure on the poll and the base of the leadrope. This will make it easier for those with taller horses. With smaller horses, this isn't as much of a necessity for giving wormer (but still important!).
4. Teach your horse to 'muzzle'. With the lead rope in your left hand, standing on the left side of the horse, reach under the head of your horse and gently grab the muzzle of the horse with your right hand. It will be easier to put the wormer into the corner of mouth with your left hand.
5. Give your horse a treat first, keep the wormer in your pocket when the are interested in what you have, slip the wormer in.
With horses, worms are a fact of life. Hopefully these tips will make worming a little easier. Of course I hope my community will add their ideas as well!